Friday, August 12, 2011

The Coop...in mid-progress

Let me begin by saying that it never occurred to me that I would one day own chickens. And that is a huge understatement. That lower case "never" should be "NEVER". In fact, I had always thought of chickens as dirty animals. Mean little flightless birds that were only useful and pleasant if roasted or baked.

A few years ago my cousin Cheri decided to buy a few chickens for her new farm. When we went to the annual Easter egg hunt that she hosts I prepared for the worst...beaks and talons, poop and salmonella, flies and stench. I was so ignorant. (I know, no surprise there).


Instead, her coop was adorable! It was so clean and while there was a distinct odor, I would hardly call it a stench. In fact, it was rather pleasant. The hens were beautiful. Plump with downy feathers in an assortment of colors. I spent the afternoon on the deck, relaxing as I watched them go about their business of pecking and foraging.


At some point I picked up a basket and went into the coop on an egg hunt of my own. I squealed when I found my first egg. (Yes, squealed...it's the little things in life). And I was sold. I needed chickens. Not wanted, needed. As in "my life cannot be complete until I have some of those for myself").

Unfortunately I lived in the middle of suburbia. A planned community with tight rules and regulations. If I couldn't plant tomatoes...I felt fairly certain that a chicken coop would be frowned upon. A move was nowhere in our foreseeable future and even if it had been...it would have been to another equally regulated neighborhood.

That's the thing about the future...not everything is foreseeable. And within 18 months we found ourselves living on a 5 acre lot with no restrictions. I immediately began angling for a chicken coop.

In June, Mark was ready to convert an old goat pen on our property into my dream hen house.

It is now almost mid-August. The coop is almost complete...only a few minor aesthetic things are left to do. The ladies and one gentleman moved in two weeks ago and I am anxiously awaiting my first egg!

I have "before" pics...pics that show the disgusting goat pen before we completely gutted it. I'll reveal those in a later post. I also have "after" pics that show the completed nests and roosts. Unfortunately my card reader is lost so I can't upload them yet.


So, here are "mid" pics...

This first pic shows Mark attempting to square up the existing flooring...evidently the people that built the goat pen had an aversion to levels and t-squares...







This is the beginning stage of the nesting boxes. The side that is above open flooring will be where the ladies nest. The back of the nests will have drop down doors with handles so that you can gather eggs without actually entering the chicken area.






The completed nesting box frame.






The coop has two sides...one side with finished floors that is blocked off from the chickens. This is the area that has access to the nests without access to the poop. The feed and scratch will be kept in this area along with the tools that I need to keep the coop clean and salmonella free.


The other side has a dirt floor. This makes the ladies very happy as they can peck at the ground and scratch around for bugs. The dirt will be covered with a light layer of straw that helps with the smell and the poop. The straw will be composted. (Yes, I will also be composting. I have no idea what has happenend to me, but I kind of like it).


Before and current pics coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Yes - you are quite the betty homemaker now. I thoroughly expect some bread out of the bread machine as well as some homemade yogurt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike you, I have "Had A Dream" since childhood! :) Fueled by the chickens my grandparents and even great grandparents kept. My favorite thing to do when I arrived at their houses was head to the kitchen for the egg basket and then straight for the coop. My nana would save the egg gathering for me if she knew I was coming over. I still can't make my dream come true for a bit ....so for now...I will be living vicariously through yours!

    ReplyDelete